Friday, September 15, 2006

 

9-14-06

The more I learn about computers and programming, the more I think about
what I want to do with this knowledge. With just three semesters to go, I
have learned more than I thought possible and can only imagine what more I can
learn in my remaining time. But what I want to do with it all is still
somewhat of a mystery. I would like to go on and get at least a Master's
Degree, and possibly a Ph.D. The Master's is a somewhat selfish desire, as I
believe it will greatly improve my ability to provide for my family, but the Ph.
D is another matter entirely. I would love to someday teach, and give
something of worth back to the community that has helped me learn. In contrast
with my desire to give something back, this "splogging" escapade we read about
today appears to me to be a selfish and intellectually lazy endeavor. As a
recipient of a BYU Master's Degree, this individual is not giving anything of
worth to the community. In fact, in his quest to capitalize on this
"opportunity" he has become a parasite, making money by harming the community
that allows him to do so. I remember from last week the creator of VisiCalc
who is now a teacher, but is comfortable with his motives to make something of
worth to the computing community, and not just make a pile of money. I only
hope that when I am finished with school I will remember that I want to
contribute more than I want to get rich.

Comments:
...but getting rich couldn't hurt, right? haha. ha.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?