Tuesday, October 31, 2006

 

10-26: Dot Con?

The video we watched today was very amusing to me. I don't recall seeing so many different ways to hedge and beat around the bush by so many people in such a short time. What really got my attention was that it wasn't the programmers who were the instigators of the problem, or even the owners of the businesses that went public, but the investment bankers. I have never been overly fond of the stereotypical upper level banking executives, even though I'm a firm believer in the capitalistic system. Even though I was in high school and on my mission and relatively unaffected by the dot com bust I irks me to see that a handful of investment banking executives can have that kind of impact on our society. It may not even be the magnitude of the impact, but the intent and the duration that is the main problem. I owned a business before I started school. For a short time, that business was my sole source of income, and I believed I had a pretty good foundation. However, I would never have dreamed of trying to take it public based on the short duration I had operated it for. That the investment banking executives were so hungry for IPO kickbacks as to take untested and unprepared businesses public drives home the fact that money can indeed be the "root of all evil."

Comments:
look at you with your clever little title. you wish you could be a creative writer like your wife, don't you?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?