Wednesday, October 04, 2006

 

10-3 Danger on the Internet?

I grew up with a dichotomy of sorts in my home as far as rules and choices were concerned. My dad's idea was that he did his best to teach us right from wrong, and he left us a large measure of freedom concerning our choices. My mother, on the other hand, tried to prevent exposure from things that could harm us (mostly spiritually). The result of their different strategies showed up fairly well in our class discussion today. In my younger years, I expended considerable amounts of creative energy circumventing my mother's preventive measures almost as a matter of principle. With my dad, however, I knew what was expected of me and quickly learned that there would be unavoidable consequences when I made poor choices. As it turns out, I was stubborn and foolish enough that often it was only through the consequences that I fully learned the lesson and its accompanying principles, which leads back to our class discussion. Do we filter out even the possibility of objectionable content in our homes? Or do we teach our children (and ourselves) as best we can, and let filtering take a secondary role to protect against accidental misfortunes? I personally tend to lean toward the latter, with the addition that in my home (whenever I have children old enough that this is an issue) there will be consequences for bad choices. I greatly hope that I will be able to teach my children effectively enough that filtering or blocking measures will go largely unused, and serve mostly to protect against accidents. I also hope I will be able to teach my children effectively enough so that they don't need the consequences of a bad decision to be what they learn from. So where do I stand on the issue of censorship and freedom? Pretty much right in the middle.

Comments:
sweet sweet al. you're going to be a good daddy. i can't wait.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?