Saturday, November 04, 2006

 

11-2: What happened, Novell?

I quited enjoyed the video we watched today. I always enjoy learning about the events that shaped the computing world as we know it today. It was especially relevant in light of the agreement Novell just made with Microsoft. As I work in an office full of Linux and Mac users, we have had many discussions about Microsoft (usually about how Windows drives us nuts). It seems a little bit fishy to me that Novell, who has refused offers from Microsoft in the past, now thinks the time to join forces has come. Novell's current state of uncertainty may have some effect on this, but historically allying with Microsoft in any way has been the beginning of the end for everyone who has done it. I'm sure that Microsoft threatening legal action over use of their proprietary technology in Mono, WINE, and other software that makes coexistence of Windows and Open Source Software also has something to do with this agreement. All things considered, it almost seems to me that Novell didn't have much choice in the matter, and that the only reason Microsoft was a generous as they were in the agreement was to avoid more incurring any more pressure over their anti-competition, monopolistic business practices. The whole issue has reminded me that as I begin to take on larger projects and prepare to go into the industry I need to be very careful about what contracts I agree to and what technology I use.

Comments:
"...the dinosaurs were extinct."
"what happened, you guys?"

ha.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?